There are a range of grants or one-off payments that can help you with daily expenses or if you have taken on a caring role, to get a bit of a break.

Time for you

If you are supporting someone with young onset dementia, some local authorities provide vouchers (sometimes called respite grants or carers' grants) that you can exchange for support services.

GP Carers Breaks Grant

In some parts of the UK you can apply for this one-off payment of £750.  It is there to give you some time to yourself.  You will need to register as a carer with your GP and be caring for somebody for 20 hours a week or more.  Apply for the grant at your GP surgery.

Carers Grant

Your local authority may offer a Carers Grant.  This is available if you have a regular caring role for at least 10 hours a week.  It can be used to support your health and wellbeing.  You can spend it on a range of things such as evening classes, massages, driving lessons or extra help at home.

Talk to your local authority, or search for your local Carers centre here.

Disabled Facilities Grant

You can get a grant from your council if you or someone you live with is disabled and need to make changes to your home.  You might need to install a stairlift, for example, or change light switches to make them easier to use.  How much you can apply for depends on your income, your savings and which part of the UK you live in.  Contact your local council for more information.

Useful organisations

A charitable organisation which helps you to access money available to you through benefits, grants and other help.

Carers UK 
Information, advice and support for carers.

Share this page