The YoungDementia UK PACE (Positivists, Activists, Consultants & Educators) group shared their hints and tips of living in lockdown in April 2020, as the coronavirus pandemic was at its height. You can read their tips here.
We wanted to build on their ideas and create a more extensive and far-reaching collection of experiences, stories and coping strategies for living in lockdown and beyond by creating an opportunity for people living with young onset dementia to support each other and to share their experiences and learn from each other.
With the help of our social media and the DEEP Network, we put the call out to people to join us in a Zoom meeting. Sixteen people got in touch and said they were interested in taking part. It was a fun and dynamic group and a supportive, interesting and enjoyable hour and half.
Feedback from participants included
- The wealth of community spirit was outstanding and the knowledge which people expressed could teach some professionals a thing or too - Ronnie
- A very useful and inspiring meeting - Des
- It was great to hear so many different stories from different people and it was lovely to know that everyone in the group are doing their best and making the most of the situation. There was a real sense of community in the meeting and it is really important to touch base and be in contact with people at this time - Jacqui
- I did enjoy speaking to others who are affected with young onset dementia. Listening to their own experiences was great - Kevin
We have made their hints and tips for keeping well in tough times into two short videos, watch them below
Keeping well in tough times part 1
Keeping well in tough times part 2
- A very big thank you to Chris, Christine, Des, George, Gerald, Jacqui, Joy, Julie, Kevin, Masood, Paul and Maggie, Paul and Shelagh, Ronnie and Wayne for sharing their experiences and stories